Heritage News and Events
- SA History Festival 2021 with Keith Conlon
- Colonel Light Gardens with Keith Conlon
- Celebrating South Australia's Heritage
- Granite Island Causeway - Statement by Chair of SA Heritage Council
- Sir Samuel Way Building to be restored
- Archived Events and News
- Archived Heritage Newsletters
- Follow us on Social Media
The South Australian History Festival is on during May 2021 with many great events to attend.
Watch this short video with Keith Conlon, Chair of the South Australian Heritage Council, promoting the History Festival and showcasing Heritage SnAps Photo Competition 2021.
Before ANZAC Day 2020, Keith Conlon spoke to David Bevan on ABC Radio Adelaide about Colonel Light Gardens and its strong World War 1 connections.
Keith is Chair of the South Australian Heritage Council.
Just prior to its layout in 1921, the Grange Farm, (purchased by the State Government), became a major World War 1 army training camp 1915-1920. After the war there was a shortage of housing with so many soldiers returning home, and so the government introduced the Thousand Home Scheme, the first major public housing scheme in Australia. About 700 were built in the new suburb in the 1920s.
The South Australian Heritage Council proposed it be a State Heritage Area and it was declared as such in 2000.
Often seen in TV news bulletins, the Sir Samuel Way Building in Victoria Square was in its own news story in November 2020. ABC TV News Report Alina Eacott talked to the Chair of the South Australian Heritage Council, Keith Conlon, about its origins as a grand department store in 1916 and the huge blaze which gutted the building in 1948.
One of the best known State Heritage Places, the building exterior will be restored, thanks to a decision through the November 2020 State Government Budget.
Sir Samuel Way Building
- Arts Law rates Heritage SnAps T&Cs 5 Stars
- Now open - Heritage SnAps Photo Competition 2021
- More than 20 projects to benefit from heritage grants
- $8.1 million boost for South Australian heritage
- Heritage SnAps finalists 2020 Photo Exhibition at Adelaide Arcade
- South Australia's History Festival back for 2021
- SA Heritage Grants Round 3
- Stronger heritage protection in Colonel Light Gardens
- Watch a short but entertaining video that celebrates our state’s heritage
- The Edmund Wright Trail
- Heritage Tourism Strategy for SA
- ADELAIDEAZ connects us to South Australian culture
- SA's oldest buildings uncovered
- Modernist Adelaide Exhibition
- Winners of Heritage SnAps Photo Competition announced
- The Environment, Resources and Development Committee of Parliament report into Heritage Reform