Topics > Park management

Parks boundaries

The department is the custodian of national parks boundaries and national parks property data. We would like to make our information easily available for government and other agencies to download and use as required. This data provides up-to-date information on the legal boundaries for parks and reserves as published in the Government Gazettes.

For data downloads, including national parks properties and boundaries, see:

Metadata provides information about the data including where the information has come from, how it was captured, scale, projection and custodian details. View the metadata:

View a map of all current South Australian parks and reserves under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972, Wilderness Protection Act 1992 and Crown Land Management Act 2009.

Parks boundary fencing

Boundary fencing is fencing that is constructed along, or close to, the legal boundary of a reserve proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972, Marine Parks Act 2007, Wilderness Protection Act 1992 or areas reserved under the Crown Land Management Act 2009 that are under the care and control of the Minister for Environment and Water.

Under certain conditions, the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) may share the cost of boundary fencing with adjoining landowners for maintenance, repair or replacement.

DEW’s assistance with boundary fencing will be subject to the availability of funding and staff resources, and to meeting its other responsibilities under legislation for managing parks.

Frequently asked questions

Who owns the boundary fence?

Where there is a common understanding between DEW and an adjoining landowner about who constructed a park boundary fence, the entity that constructed it will be understood to be the owner.

Where there is not a common understanding about the construction or ownership of a park boundary fence, it will be assumed that it is owned in equal parts by the Minister for Environment and Water and the adjoining landowner.

When will DEW assist with boundary fencing?

DEW may consider applications from adjoining landowners for assistance towards the maintenance, repair or replacement of a jointly owned boundary fence when the purpose of this contribution is to:

  • prevent the adjoining landowner’s domestic stock from entering the park, or
  • prevent wildlife or pest animals impacting on the adjoining landowner’s crops or other assets.

In certain cases DEW may initiate and pay up to 100% of maintenance, repair or replacement costs of a jointly owned boundary fence when the purpose of this work is to:

  • Provide a clear physical indication of a park boundary
  • Facilitate controlled grazing within a park.
  • Repair damages caused by DEW during park/fire management activities.
  • Protect and conserve the natural or cultural values of the park
  • Manage vehicle access, visitor access or public safety.
  • Undertake repairs after fire, flood or other natural event.

What will DEW contribute?

Where the adjoining landowner makes application for assistance DEW may provide up to $5000 towards the cost of materials associated with the boundary fence. The adjoining landowner will be required to undertake or organise and meet all other costs.

Which type of fencing will DEW contribute to?

DEW will contribute to standard stock-proof fences used commonly in the region. If a landowner requires or wishes to have a higher standard of fencing, they must meet the additional costs of that fencing.

Who maintains the fence?

Where DEW provides assistance towards the boundary fence the adjoining landowner is responsible for its future maintenance. DEW may assist with maintaining a fence damaged by a fire, flood or other natural event.

How to apply for assistance

Applications for 2022–23 boundary fencing assistance is now open.

Adjoining landowners wishing to apply for assistance are required to complete an Application for Park Boundary Fence Assistance form and email this to together with any requested supporting documentation.

You will be contacted by the South Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service to discuss your application.

If your application is approved, work must be carried out within 6 months of receiving the materials.