Research, reports and policies
This section contains documents and information on:
- Northern beaches assessments
- Metro coast sand sampling reports
- Community research
- Sand suitability investigations
- West Beach sand management
- Coastal planning and development information
- Coast Protection Board policies, reports and meeting minutes
- Coastlinehistorical publications
- Coastal Viewscapes Project
- Adelaide's Living Beaches
- Other journals, fact sheets, management plans, policies, research and technical reports
- Impact Assessment on moving sand from the northern beaches - Phase 1 report, December 2020
- Impact Assessment on the longer term impacts of the Semaphore to West Beach sand recycling pipeline implementation.- Phase 2 report, July 2021
- Semaphore South to Largs North – Dune vegetation survey
- Sand Suitability Investigation Semaphore and Largs Bay, May 2019 – Findings Report
- Community awareness, sentiment and understanding of how and why Adelaide’s beaches are managed – Market research report, 2020
- Summary of Port Stanvac Offshore Sand Deposits investigations, February 2021
- Investigation reports:
- Phase 1 Investigations of Port Stanvac Offshore Sand Deposits –Survey Report (Precision Hydrographic Services 2020)
- Technical Note - assessment of Port Stanvac seabed provinces, Acoustic Imaging Pty Ltd, 2020
- Sediment coring of Port Stanvac waters by vibecoring (Aquatic Biosecurity Pty Ltd, 2020)
- Vibrocore Land Based Operations and Core Logs Report (Geo-Ocean Horizons Pty Ltd, 2020)
- Port Stanvac sediment sampling and analysis report (Environmental Projects, 2020)
- Port Stanvac core results - Acoustic Imaging Pty Ltd, 2020
- Sand volume estimates - Port Stanvac, Acoustic Imaging Pty Ltd, 2020
- Summary paper - West Beach sand management: an overview of the coastal processes modelling report, September 2018
- West Beach coastal processes modelling: assessment of coastal management options technical report (DHI), September 2018
- West Beach coastal processes modelling: assessment of structural options (DHI), January 2020
- West Beach sand volume update technical memo (DHI), February 2021
Dune restoration and stabilisation
- West Beach dune restoration and stabilisation plan, Succession Ecology, June 2022
- West Beach dune restoration interim measures, Succession Ecology, February 2022
- The Coastal Planning Information Package (revised 2013) is a guide for planners, developers and councils to coastal development assessment and planning policy.
- View Coast Protection Board annual reports
- View minutes from Coast Protection Board meetings
- Coast Protection Board policy document (updated October 2022)
- Policy on coast protection and new coastal development (adopted in 1991)
- Coastal erosion, flooding and sea level rise standards and protection policy (January 1992)
- Adelaide coast protection strategy review (1984). Provides a review of the available knowledge on Adelaide coastal processes and an assessment of the measures available to protect the coast. Please note that this is a large file and may take some time to download.
- Metropolitan Coast Protection District Management Plan (1982) declared by the Governor to be an approved management plan on 21 October 1982. A minor variation to the Metropolitan Coast Protection District Management Plan (1982) was approved by the Governor on 31 January 1985, thereby creating the Metropolitan Coast Protection District Management Plan (1985) with Appendix.
Note: the 1985 and 1982 Metropolitan Coast Protection District Management Plans must be read together.
- Developing a management strategy for coastal cliff erosion hazards in South Australia (May 2014, issue #37). Outlines management strategies to mitigate adverse impacts of coastal cliff erosion on public safety, existing assets and infrastructure
- Recreational beach widths along the Adelaide coastline (May 2006, issue #36). Provides a summary of the results obtained from a 2005 survey of recreational beach widths along the metropolitan coast, plus a discussion of what these results mean
- A strategy for implementing CPB policies on coastal acid sulfate soils in South Australia (January 2003, issue #33). Provides an overview of coastal acid sulfate soils, their impacts and the Coast Protection Board’s strategy to address those impacts
- Monitoring sand movements along the Adelaide coastline (June 2000, issue #32). Outlines the beach monitoring program for Adelaide’s coastline
- Coastal vulnerability assessment (February 1997, issue #31). Provides an overview of Australian coastal vulnerability assessment studies and a case study of South Australia’s Northern Spencer Gulf
- The value of the Adelaide beaches (November 1993, issue #29). Outlines the economic value of Adelaide beaches and their significance to the Adelaide community
- Maintaining the Adelaide coastline (September 1993, issue #28). Discusses why there is a need to maintain Adelaide’s coast, how the coast is monitored and what is being done to manage coastal erosion
- The Adelaide metropolitan coastline (April 1993, issue #27). Outlines the geomorphological history of the metropolitan coast, the impact of European settlement on the dune system, and the coastal processes at work on the coastline
In 2004, the Coast Protection Board commissioned Dr Andrew Lothian of Scenic Solutions to measure and map the scenic quality of the South Australian coastline. The outcomes of the project were intended to assist in the development of planning policy and the assessment of development applications. The project commenced in December 2004 and was completed in October 2005.
- Coastal Viewscapes of South Australia Report
- Coastal Viewscapes of South Australia - Mapping results for council areas
The Adelaide’s Living Beaches strategy was introduced in 2005 to address continual erosion along Adelaide’s metropolitan beaches. It included the installation of a major pipeline system that reduced the need for traditional sand carting by truck, as well as the construction of structures such as breakwaters and groynes to act as sand traps in critical locations.
- Adelaide's Living Beaches brochure
- Adelaide's Living Beaches technical report
- Adelaide's Living Beaches strategy summary and background information
A large repository of information and monitoring data from our department and other agencies involved in coastal management can be found on the South Australian Government’s Enviro Data SA Portal. The following categories are available:
- Coast and marine management: This section provides access to data, documents and links relating to South Australia’s coastal regions.
- Ecosystems: This section contains information and data relating to the topics of estuaries, reefs, sand flats, mudflats and seagrass.
- Industries: This section contains information and data relating to aquaculture, fisheries and desalination.
- Data systems: This section links to other services that provide coastal monitoring data.
- Risk awareness: This section contains information on risks to the coastal and marine environment in South Australia.
- Science and research: This section includes scientific reports and findings that may inform coastal and marine management.
- Reporting: This section contains report cards that outline the condition of our coastal resources and our management and community stewardship capacities.
Coastal processes study of Adelaide beaches
A list of other historical publications that can be requested from our team is available.