Sand transfer locations
The Adelaide coastline is divided into six sand management cells:
- Cell 1 - Glenelg to Kingston Park
- Cell 2 - West Beach boat haven to North Glenelg
- Cell 3 - Torrens Outlet to the West Beach dunes
- Cell 4 - Semaphore to Henley Beach
- Cell 5 - North Haven to Semaphore
- Cell 6 - Outer Harbour to North Haven.
As part of the Sand Transfer Infrastructure project, sand pumping and pipeline systems were installed in Cells 1 and 3 as seen in the pipeline route map.
Sand carting with trucks continues to operate in Cells 2 and 4. Sand management is currently not required in Cells 5 and 6.
Currently the Torrens Outlet to the West Beach dunes pipeline (Cell 3) is not being used. The 2018 DHI West Beach report determined that large volumes of sand are needed to stabilise the foreshore. The pipeline will need to be part of the solution in the future. Sand pumping continues to perform well from Glenelg to Kingston Park.