Licences & permits > Wildlife permits > Permit types

Keep, sell or display native animals (including eggs)

Can I keep, sell or display native animals?

You can keep, sell, display or demonstrate native animals or their eggs, but for many species you must hold a permit. This includes if you receive a native animal as a gift, give one away, breed a protected animal, or take a protected animal from the wild.

People wishing to apply for a permit should have a good knowledge of the animals and how to meet their needs.

What animals can I keep, sell or display?

You can keep, sell or display most native animal species or their eggs, provided you have the skills and the right permit where one is required.

What permit type do I need?

The type of permit you need depends on what you would like to do with the animals. To access a permit application form or for further information, select from the list below: