Please note: if your water application form is lodged after 2pm on 18 June 2021 there is no guarantee that the application will be determined in the 2020-2021 year.
Water licence and permit forms
Download forms for specific prescribed water resources areas from the list below and apply using the instructions on the forms.
To apply for an activity relating to wells, well driller's licences, notations of interest, using effluent or imported water and general meter testing, please use a statewide form.
Find out whether you need to apply for a water licence or permit.
If you have questions about the water licences or permits, please phone the relevant number below.
For water licence enquiries:
- relating to the Barossa PWRA – (08) 8595 2053
- for all other prescribed water resources listed below –(08) 8463 6876
For water affecting activity enquiries:
- relating to a dam or watercourse (eg. creating or enlarging a dam; building a structure in a watercourse etc.) - (08) 8273 9100
- relating to wells (eg. drilling, backfilling, repairing, replacing etc.) – (08) 8735 1134
Permits and licences are required for the following water resources areas because they are covered by a Water Allocation Plan (WAP). A WAP is a legal document that sets out the rules for managing the take and use of prescribed water resources areas to ensure resource sustainability. Find out more information about what a WAP is and why they are important.
Chapmans Creek Intake
New water licence
Transfer of a water licence
Transfer water allocation - apply online or download the form
Please note, this form has recently been upgraded, to apply online you need to click the link in the preceding sentence. Bookmarks created prior to June 30 2021 no longer link to the online form.
*Please ensure a current meter read for transferor is provided with submission of Application to transfer water allocation in McLaren Vale Prescribed Wells Area. Failure to provide a current read may delay processing of applications.
Vary water licence
Special meter reading
Middle Beach Intake
Northern Adelaide Plains
Western Mount Lofty Ranges
Please note there are currently restrictions in place for some activities in the Western Mount Lofty Ranges. It is recommended that you contact Water Licensing on 8463 6876 to confirm the current status of these restrictions.
- Water licences and/or water allocations can be either temporarily or permanently transferred. All transfer applications must be in accordance with the rules set out in the Western Mount Lofty Ranges Water Allocation Plan. Find out more information about water trading/transfers within the Western Mount Lofty Ranges.
- A key consideration when lodging an application to transfer groundwater allocation should be the capacity to allow for additional allocations within a groundwater management zone. The transfer of allocation must not result in the extraction limit for the receiving management zone to be exceeded (or further exceeded). Confirm the demand by viewing the latest map of the Groundwater Management Zone Allocation Status.