Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Keeping venomous snakes

To keep protected native animals, including the majority of venomous snakes, you must hold a Specialist permit and comply with venomous snakes policies and procedures.

Policies and procedures

Relocating snakes as a wildlife controller

You must have a Wildlife Management (Controller) Permit to remove snakes from commercial and residential homes and backyards.

Venomous snakes may present a considerable risk to public safety, particularly in residential areas. Wildlife controllers capture and remove venomous snakes from situations where they threaten public safety. They can also remove other non-venomous reptiles that are causing public concern.

Before being granted a permit, wildlife controllers who intend to capture and relocate snakes must:

  • have held a specialist keep and sell permit endorsed to keep venomous snakes (category 2); or
  • attended 10 call outs with a licensed wildlife controller and completed a log book; and
  • have secure facilities for housing any captured venomous snakes
  • have security arrangements in place for the housing and transportation of venomous snakes
  • hold a current first aid certificate
  • provide documentation for any training in capturing and handling venomous snakes.

Policies and procedures