Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Topics > Crown land > Property professionals

Local councils and Crown land

Local Councils are often the custodians of dedicated Crown land and may have Crown land included on their Community Land Registers as required under the Local Government Act 1999.

The following information has been provided to assist local councils in dealing with Crown land.

Changes to PC114

Premier and Cabinet Circular 114 (PC114) outlines government’s direction for dealing with Crown land including the sale of land direct to Councils for market value.

PC114’s Schedule E: Crown Land Disposal (Crown Agencies) is relevant to Councils, in particular:

  • ability to sell land direct to Councils without competition, at market value, when the land will be included on the Community Land Register;
  • ability to sell land direct to Regional Councils without competition, at market value, where land is intended for industrial, commercial or residential purposes, to encourage regional development
  • ability to sell land direct to Council’s without competition, at market value, when Councils can demonstrate no loss to the community and a strategic need.

Release of Crown land

Council’s may enquire about purchasing Crown land or identify Crown land within its local government area which may be suitable for release.

Applications to purchase or enquiries about the release Crown land should include the following;

  • parcel(s) - description of land
  • current use(s) including leases – what is proposed to happen to existing users
  • strategies relating to any loss of community facilities
  • description of the proposal
  • masterplan and or business plan
  • triple bottom line benefits – social, economic and environmental needs of the community
  • preference for open market or direct sale to council
  • ability to purchase the land for market value.

Providing the above details will assist in expediting the process as it will provide the necessary information and demonstrate it is a well thought out and supported concept.