Premier’s Climate Change Council
The Premier’s Climate Change Council was established under the Climate Change and Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Act 2007.
The primary role of the Council is to provide independent advice to the Minister for Environment and Water on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change. This role includes providing advice on a number of different areas, including:
- achieving energy efficiencies
- increasing the use of renewable energy
- developing methods to remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere
- establishing and achieving relevant targets
- considering the impact of climate change on business and the wider community
- assessing costs associated with reducing or limiting climate change (or failing to take action)
- commercial or other opportunities associated with climate change
- the effectiveness of targets under the Climate Change and Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Act 2007.
In addition to providing advice, the Council takes a leadership role in consulting with businesses, the environment and conservation sector, and the wider community about issues associated with climate change.
The Council supported the development of the South Australian Government Climate Change Action Plan 2021 – 2025,Directions for a Climate Smart South Australia, and the Blue Carbon Strategy for South Australia.
The inaugural Council was established in February 2008.
Council members can be appointed from a range of sectors, including state and local government, the business community, the environmental and conservation sector, the scientific community, and other sectors of the State’s community more generally.
Current Membership of the Premier’s Climate Change Council includes:
- Martin Haese (Chair)
- Daniel Bennett
- Daniel Conley
- Susan Jeanes
- Penny Schulz
- Richard Turner
- Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor
- Craig Wilkins.
Find out more about the council members.
Contact the Council:
Chair, Premier's Climate Change Council
c/o Climate Change Branch
Department for Environment and Water
GPO Box 1047
Adelaide SA 5001