The Premier’s Climate Change Council was established under the Climate Change and Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Act 2007.
The primary role of the Council is to provide independent advice to the Minister for Environment and Water on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change. This role includes providing advice on a number of different areas, including:
- achieving energy efficiencies
- increasing the use of renewable energy
- developing methods to remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere
- establishing and achieving relevant targets
- considering the impact of climate change on business and the wider community
- assessing costs associated with reducing or limiting climate change (or failing to take action)
- commercial or other opportunities associated with climate change
- the effectiveness of targets under the Climate Change and Greenhouse Emissions Reduction Act 2007.
In addition to providing advice, the Council takes a leadership role in consulting with businesses, the environment and conservation sector, and the wider community about issues associated with climate change.
The Council has been tasked by the Minister for Environment and Water to establish an across agency climate change strategy for South Australia and develop a blue carbon strategy for South Australia. Find out more about the strategies.
The inaugural Council was established in February 2008 for a period of three years. The Council is currently in its fourth term, which commenced in July 2017.
Council members can be appointed from a range of sectors, including state and local government, the business community, the environmental and conservation sector, the scientific community, and other sectors of the State’s community more generally.
A fourth term of Council members was appointed on 18 July 2017. Current Membership includes:
- Mr Bruce Carter (Chair)
- Mayor Ann Ferguson
- Nicole Halsey
- Jenny Paradiso
- Andrew Stock
- Sandra Verschoor
- Craig Wilkins
- Cecilia Woolford
Find out more about the council members
Contact the Council:
Chair, Premier's Climate Change Council
c/o Climate Change Branch
Department for Environment and Water
GPO Box 1047
Adelaide SA 5001
Managing Climate Change Risk Event – 13 February 2018
On 13 February 2018, the Premier’s Climate Change Council and KPMG Adelaide jointly hosted the event “Climate Change: Managing the Risks” for the South Australian business community.