South Australian River Murray
The SA Murray Region water resource plan area is a vast and complex area, covering a diverse geographical landscape.
The SA Murray Region covers the Coorong and Murray Mouth area, which forms part of the Coorong, Lower Lakes and Murray Mouth Ramsar wetland of international importance.
This site provides a vital refuge for migratory birds from around the world and is home to many local industries such as fisheries, agriculture and tourism. This important Ramsar site is covered by both the SA Murray Region water resource plan and River Murray water resource plan.
The SA Murray Region water resource plan was accredited by the then Commonwealth Minister responsible for water, the Hon. David Littleproud MP, in August 2019.
The SA Murray Region water resource plan includes all surface water in the area and all groundwater resources beneath the area, except for the surface water in the River Murray water resource plan area.
In the area, South Australia’s main water planning tools are:
- Landscape South Australia Act 2019
- Natural Resources South Australian Murray-Darling Basin NRM Plan
- Natural Resources South Australian Arid Lands Regional NRM Plan
- Natural Resources South East Regional NRM Plan
- Mallee Prescribed Wells Area Water Allocation Plan
- Peake Roby Sherlock Prescribed Wells Area Water Allocation Plan.