The Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (AWAC) is constituted under Section 6 of the Animal Welfare Act 1985. It advises the Minister on any animal welfare matters.
There are eight members of AWAC:
- one person nominated by the Minister responsible for the administration of the Livestock Act 1997
- two people nominated by the South Australian Farmers Federation Incorporated
- one person nominated by the Society
- two people who, in the opinion of the Minister, are suitable to represent the interests of animal welfare organisations
- one person nominated by the Australian Veterinary Association
- one person engaged in research activities involving animals nominated by the Minister responsible for the administration of the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science Act 1982.
As a statutory body, the Committee must submit an Annual Report at the end of each financial year. This report is tabled in both houses of parliament. The AWAC annual report is available online or by emailing the DEW Animal Welfare Unit.