Visiting the River Murray and Coorong
The beautiful River Murray offers spectacular scenery, world class food and wine and wetlands recognised internationally for their rare birds and wildlife.
Enjoy the serenity cruising on a houseboat or camping with friends in a national park. For those who are a little more adventurous, there are a range of activities to enjoy including kayaking, water skiing and 4x4 driving.
Important Aboriginal heritage sites can also be seen along the length of the river, including canoe trees, middens, burial sites and other sacred places. Please be respectful and do not disturb these culturally significant sites.
For more information about where to go, what to do and where to stay, visit:
- River Murray, Lakes and Coorong
- River Murray visitor information centres
- South Australian Tourism Commission – River Murray
There are a range of national parks, conservation parks and game reserves surrounding the River Murray, offering activities such as hiking, birdwatching, canoeing and camping along the river. These include:
- River Murray National Park, an ideal place for bird watching with the Katarapko area an important breeding site for native wildlife, including waterbirds
- Chowilla Game Reserve and Regional Reserve, with walking trails that wind through majestic river red gum and hardy black box and canoe trails to explore the winding waterways
- Coorong National Park, a wetland of international significance and enormous cultural importance to the Ngarrindjeri people, with scenic campgrounds located on both sides of the lagoon - please note, campsites must be booked online before arrival.
Information about parks passes is available on the national parks website.
One of the most relaxing ways to explore the river is cruising with friends and family on a houseboat holiday. The Houseboat Hirers’ Association has information about departure points and a range of boats.
To find out about what’s on and local events, visit:
- Events in the River Murray, Lakes and Coorong region
- Events in the Natural Resources SA Murray-Darling Basin region
- Events in the Natural Resources South East region
Councils across the region also have information about places to visit and events in their local areas:
- Renmark Paringa Council
- District Council of Loxton Waikerie
- Berri Barmera Council
- Mid Murray Council
- Rural City of Murray Bridge Council
- Alexandrina Council
- Coorong District Council
For regular stories about the River Murray, including travel ideas, events and work to keep the river healthy, as well as other news from across our state, sign up to receive updates from the Good Living blog.