Open navigation

Adjacent to the Port Noarlunga tyre reef, south of metropolitan Adelaide, are two vessels that have been deliberately scuttled to enhance the dive potential of this artificial reef.

The ex-tug H.A Lumb was sunk by the Dive Industry Association in 1994 and lies approximately 30m from the reef. The fishing trawler Seawolf is located between the reef and the H.A Lumb. It was scuttled by the Seawolves Dive Club in March 2002.

H.A Lumb

H.A. Lumb 1018  

Location: -35.148017*S 138.442167*E

Vessel type: Steel tug

The steel tug H.A Lumb was built in 1943 by the Decatur Iron and Steel Company in Alabama in the United States, and registered to the US Navy. In 1956, it was brought to Geelong for use as a tug, and later converted to a deep-sea trawler in Port Lincoln. In 1994, H.A Lumb was taken over by the Dive Industry Association, with the express purpose of scuttling it as an artificial reef and dive site. On 9 December 1994, H.A Lumb was towed to a site approximately 2km off O'Sullivan Beach, St Vincent Gulf, where it was scuttled in 20m of water near the Port Noarlunga tyre reef.

Download the fact sheet for more information.

MV Seawolf

Seawolf 1153  

Location: -35.148100*S 138.442217*E

Vessel type: Fishing trawler

The ex-Japanese fishing trawler MV Seawolf was donated to the Seawolves Dive Club for scuttling as an artificial reef. After 5 months of preparation, the vessel was towed to the Port Noarlunga Aquatic Reserve and scuttled in 17m of water off Witton Bluff. The vessel lies on its side approximately 15m astern and to starboard of H.A Lumb inside the Noarlunga Tyre Reef.

Download the fact sheet for more information.

Click here to view form.