Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Topics > Water > Water resources > Border Groundwaters Agreement

Licensing for the Border Groundwaters Agreement

The agreement sets out the licensing arrangements in regards to how much water can be taken from the various aquifers across the designated area, as well as when applications for a license or permit to drill a bore within a zone must be referred to the Border Groundwaters Agreement Review Committee for approval.

The actual allocation of water is the responsibility of the licensing authorities in each state in accordance with the relevant groundwater management plan or water allocation plan prepared under the respective states' legislation.

See the latest Annual Report for information about what can be extracted from the different zones in terms of:

  • Permissible Annual Volumes
  • Allowable Annual Volumes

Permissible Distance and Potentiometric Surface Lowering values are also available in the latest Annual Report.

Find out more about licensing and administrative arrangements.