The following general conditions apply:
Period of season declared for duck hunting:
The open season begins sunrise Saturday 28 March 2020 and closes sunset Sunday 31 May 2020. NB: Some game reserves may have restricted dates.
Times permitted for duck hunting:
Shooting is permitted from sunrise to sunset at approved locations.
Protected species permitted for duck hunting:
- Grey Teal (Anas gracilis),
- Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea),
- Pacific Black Duck (Anas superciliosa),
- Australian Shelduck (Mountain Duck) (Tadorna tadornoides),
- Maned (Wood) Duck (Chenonetta jubata)
- Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus)
NB: Australasian (Blue-winged) Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis) and Hardhead (Aythya australis) are not permitted for hunting in 2020.
On any day of the open season, a person shall not take, have possession or control of more than four (4) ducks listed above, including not more than one (1) of each of the following species:
- Australian Shelduck (Mountain Duck) (Tadorna tadornoides).
- Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus).
The taking of duck eggs is not permitted.
Where can I hunt?
Restrictions have been placed on open season hunting in game reserves, so please refer to specific opening times for game reserves.
Individuals hunting on private land and dedicated crown land are required to have the written permission of the landowner.
An open season duck hunting permit is required to take/hunt duck. Applications of open season duck permits will be available in early 2020.