Preparing for Bushfire Season

For information about how to prepare for the bushfire season, refer to the Native Vegetation Council and SA CFS Guide. Information on native vegetation management is also available on the CFS website.

The activities involving clearance that you can undertake on your property after a bushfire are highlighted below. For further information, see the Fact Sheet - Preparing for a Bushfire.

Can I replace a fence?

Yes, you can undertake necessary clearance to allow access to maintain an existing fence to a maximum of 5 m total (2.5 m either side of fence) or to a maximum of 1 m onto a road reserve, with permission from the local council. For more information see our information on fences.

If you have a Native Vegetation Heritage Agreement on a property that has been burnt by a bushfire since December 2019, and all or part of a fence protecting an area requires replacement, you may be eligible for assistance. Please contact us for further details.

Can I realign a fence?

Yes, you can realign a fence provided you are doing it in a way that reduces the amount of new clearance. If you are establishing a new fence, you need to notify us.

Can I replace an access track?

Yes, you can clear an existing access track on your property, provided it is used for walking access and is no more than 0.5m in width. For more information see our information on walking tracks.

Can I replace a vehicle track?

Yes, you can clear to maintain a vehicle track of no more than 5m wide that provides access on your property. If you are establishing a new vehicle track, you need to notify us.

Can I remove a burnt tree posing a safety risk or inhibiting access?

Yes you can remove limbs of a burnt tree or the whole burnt tree (where necessary) if it is within 10 m of a house or building and is inhibiting access or posing a safety risk.

Can I remove a burnt tree from a road reserve?

You must have approval to do so by your local council which will refer to the NVC's Guidelines for Roadside Native Vegetation Management.

Can I remove a burnt tree in my paddock?

Many of these trees will reshoot and recover post fire. Where there is no immediate safety risk to people and property, burnt paddock trees should be retained. If there is a safety risk, a report from a plant health expert must be provided to the NVC for approval. Please be aware that burnt trees are not necessarily dead trees and generally recover after a fire, remaining as important habitat and protected under the Native Vegetation Act 1991. See our dead plants FAQ for information on dead plants that are protected under the Act.

Can clearance for fuel breaks or fire mitigation occur during an active fire?

CFS Officers have certain powers during an active fire to undertake necessary actions to protect property and people. This can include undertaking or directing the clearance of native vegetation for activities such as fire breaks on state, local government or private land. Landholders should only act upon the direction of a CFS Officer. For further information you can contact the CFS.

If you are interested in fire hazard reduction during bushfire recovery please see our clearing page for further information.

For information on where clearance is permitted after a bushfire, see the Native Trees in Burnt Areas FAQ.