Topics > Native vegetation > Clearing Native Vegetation

Walking track: maintain or establish a track

Can I clear native vegetation to maintain or establish a walking track?

You can clear vegetation to establish or maintain a walking track on private land, for private use.

What can I clear?

You can clear vegetation to maintain or establish a walking track:

  • that is reasonably required to provide access for walkers

  • that is no more than 0.5 metres in width

  • that is limited to the extent reasonably required to achieve the purpose for which the track is required

  • when there is no other practical alternative to the position of the track that would involve no clearance or where the vegetation is less significant or more degraded.

Does this include land under Heritage or Management Agreement?

Yes you can clear for this purpose on Heritage Agreement or Management Agreement land.

Do I need approval?

No you do not need to get approval.

What do I have to do?

  • Self-assess that your clearing is within the parameters of this activity.

  • Consider if there are other practical alternatives to clearing, including positioning a new track so that it would involve no clearing, or clearing vegetation that is less significant or more degraded.

  • Obtain the written permission of the landowner if you are acting on behalf of the landowner.

What if I want to clear vegetation for a recreation track for public use?

Clearance is permitted to establish or maintain a track for public recreational use for non-motorised vehicles, such as bicycles or horses.


You are not permitted to clear for this activity if you are:

  • clearing vegetation on a roadside, rail corridor or railway crossing

  • clearing vegetation previously established as a condition of a consent for clearance or under regulation (including a condition in respect of clearance permitted under revoked regulations).

What if my activity doesn't fit this description?

If your proposed clearance does not meet the requirements of this regulation, or another regulation, you can submit a clearance application under Section 28 of the Native Vegetation Act 1991.


Native Vegetation Branch.