Topics > Native vegetation > Clearing Native Vegetation

Fences: maintain existing or establish a new fence

Can I clear native vegetation to access or establish a fence?

You can clear vegetation to allow access to maintain an existing fence or establish a new fence.

What can I clear?

You can clear vegetation for access to maintain or establish a fence:

  • limited to the extent required to obtain access
  • a maximum of 10 m wide (or less) for a property boundary fence (5 m each side of the fence)
  • a total maximum of 5 m wide (or less) for a dividing fence on a single property.
  • a maximum of 1m into a road reserve with local council permission.

For further information see the Fact Sheet on Fences.

Does this include land under Heritage or Management Agreement?

Yes you can clear for this purpose on Heritage Agreement or Management Agreement land.

Do I need approval?

No you do not need to get approval, but you do need to notify us of clearance to establish a new fence.

What do I have to do?

You must:

  • self-assess that your clearing is within the parameters of this activity
  • consider if there are practical alternatives to clearing, including positioning a new fence so that it involves no clearing, or clearing vegetation that is less significant or more degraded

If establishing a new fence you must:

  • notify the Native Vegetation Council by filling out the online notification prior to clearing with the following details (a formal record of the notification will be provided to you):
    • applicant/landowner information
    • property details (Section/Hundred, allotment/plan)
    • reason for clearance and how other alternatives for less or no clearance have been considered
    • map of clearance area/photographs
    • description of vegetation
    • written permission of the landowner if you are acting on behalf of the landowner for any clearance activity.


You are not permitted to clear under this activity if you are:

What if my activity doesn't fit this description?

If your proposed clearance does not meet the requirements of this regulation, or another regulation, you can submit a clearance application under Section 28 of the Native Vegetation Act 1991.


Native Vegetation Branch