Native Vegetation Council
The Native Vegetation Council (NVC) is an independent body established by the Native Vegetation Act 1991. The NVC monitors the overall condition of the state’s vegetation and makes decisions on a wide range of matters concerning native vegetation in South Australia.
Its responsibilities include:
- encouraging the re-establishment of native vegetation on over-cleared land
- managing the Heritage Agreement Scheme, which encourages the protection of native bushland.
- funding and encouraging on-ground works that produce a significant environmental benefit.
- funding and encouraging native vegetation management research.
- monitoring changes to the state’s native vegetation landscape through the Change Detection Program.
- assessing applications and establishing conditions for the clearance of native vegetation.
- producing an annual report.
- adhering to Service Standards which aim to provide clarity around NVC's decision making processes.
The seven NVC members are appointed by the Minister for Environment and Water of South Australia. Members come from a range of backgrounds and must have knowledge and experience in the preservation and management of native vegetation.
Council membership from April 2021 - April 2023
- Presiding Member - Mr Vaughan Levitzke PSM
- Conservation Council SA nominee - vacant
- Landscape SA (formerly NRM) nominee – Mr Ross Sawers
- Primary Producers SA nominee – vacant
- Local Government Association nominee – Mr John Neal
- Minister’s nominee – Professor Robert Hill
- Minister’s Planning, Development or Mining nominee – Ms Kylie Weymouth
Find out more about the Council members here.
South Australia’s Native Vegetation Council Strategic Plan 2021-2023
South Australia’s Native Vegetation Council Strategic Plan 2021-2023 (Strategic Plan) outlines the NVC’s purpose and vision. The Strategic Plan also highlights the NVC’s strategic goals, priorities and key actions for the next two years.
Native Vegetation Assessment Panel
The Native Vegetation Assessment Panel (NVAP) is a committee formed by the Native Vegetation Council to make decisions on a number of native vegetation issues. Refer to the Consultation and NVAP Fact Sheet for more information on the Panel, including a list of meeting dates.
The NVC is able to delegate powers and functions to another person or body. Current delegates include the following:
- Presiding Member, NVC
- Chair, Native Vegetation Assessment Panel
- Director, Heritage and Native Vegetation
- Manager, Native Vegetation
- Principal Advisor, Native Vegetation
- Program Coordinator - Assessment and Compliance, Native Vegetation Branch
- Program Coordinator - Governance and Performance, Native Vegetation Branch
- Program Coordinator – Significant Environmental Benefit, Native Vegetation Branch
- Director, Conservation and Wildlife
- Director, National Parks and Wildlife
- Executive Director, Energy Resources, Department of Energy and Mining
- Director, Mining Regulation, Department of Energy and Mining
Contact the Council
Native Vegetation Council
GPO Box 1047
Adelaide 5001 SA