Volunteers are recognised as a key part of our agency and we are committed to their health and safety.
As a result, the department has in place a comprehensive volunteer safety structure that helps staff and volunteers effectively manage health and safety across all areas of our business, from short volunteering events over weekends and school holidays to long term projects and school work experience.
The DEW volunteer health and safety procedure assists in the management of risks, identification of hazards and their controls, induction and training, as well as providing clarity around roles and responsibilities when in the field.
The following form and hazard checklist can be used when volunteer groups are beginning to plan for an activity which will require endorsement from a DEW district/branch/unit manager:
- Hazard Identification and Risk Control Checklist – Surveys
- Hazard Identification and Risk Control Checklist – Surveying near water
- Hazard Identification Checklist – Bush care, weeding, planting and seed collecting
- Volunteer Attendance Record
- Volunteer Registration Form
- Work Health and Safety, Volunteer Safety Procedure – frequently asked questions
- Volunteer and Visitor Programs Unit on (08) 8124 4784