Prescribed burn near Onkaparinga National Park
Date posted: 15 Dec. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned within Blewitt Springs Reserve, east of Onkaparinga National Park on Thursday, 15 December, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 11:30am and is likely to be completed by 4:00pm the same day.
- The area to be burnt is 3.6 hectares within the reserve east of Onkaparinga National Park and south of Franceschinis and Brookmans Roads.
- This burn aims to reduce the risk of bushfire impacting on assets surrounding the Blewitt Springs Reserve, including the CFS station and Community Hall.
- Traffic control will be in place along Brookmans and Blewitt Springs Roads during the burn operation.
- Brookmans, Blewitt Springs, Whitings, Franceschinis and Brunato Roads may be impacted by smoke.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land. Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.