Prescribed burn at Bucks Lake Game Reserve
Date posted: 14 Mar. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for Bucks Lake Game Reserve near Carpenter Rocks, adjacent to Cape Banks Lighthouse Road north of the Township of Carpenter Rocks, in the States South East on Tuesday 15 March 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 11:30 am and is expected to be complete by 8pm.
- It will affect about 8.9 hectares within the reserve.
- The objective of the burn is to create low fuel areas to reduce the risk of bushfires impacting the community of Carpenter Rocks and to reduce the likelihood of the whole park burning in a single bushfire event.
- Cape Banks Lighthouse Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.