Prescribed burn at Upper Sturt
Date posted: 03 Nov. 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Upper Sturt, in the Mt Lofty Ranges, on Sunday 5 November 2023, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will start at 11am and is likely to be completed by 3pm on Sunday 5 November.
- The area to be burnt is 2.6 hectares on private property south of Upper Sturt Rd and west of the Hilltop Drive intersection.
- The burn is part of a series of burns that aims to reduce the risk of a bushfire affecting homes on Upper Sturt Rd.
- Smoke could remain in the area for some time, potentially affecting Upper Sturt Rd.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service crews will remain on site until safe.
NPWS SA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land. Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAEnvirWater on X (formerly Twitter).
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.