Prescribed burn at Stipiturus Conservation Park
Date posted: 22 Apr. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for the north western section of Stipiturus Conservation Park with fire vehicles travelling along Beare Lane, Lanacoona Drive and Saffrons Road, on the Fleurieu Peninsula, on Saturday 23 April 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 11am and is expected to be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 4 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to stimulate the seedbank of plants and to reduce dense vegetation to benefit several threatened species in the area.
- Beare Lane, Lanacoona Drive and Saffrons Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn which will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.