Prescribed burn at Ngarkat Conservation Park, Murray Mallee
Date posted: 10 May 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Ngarkat Conservation Park - approximately 50km south east of Lameroo - on Thursday 11 May and Friday 12 May 2023, weather conditions permitting.
• The prescribed burn will start at 12pm and finish at 6pm on both Thursday 11 May and Friday 12 May.
• The area to be burnt is 200 hectares within Ngarkat Conservation Park.
• The landscape protection burn in Ngarkat Conservation Park is to assist in the protection of life, property, and the environment
• Smoke is unlikely to impact public roads but may be visible from Ngarkat Highway, Baan Hill Rd and areas surrounding the park
• The burn area will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be conducted by the Department for Environment and Water and CFS. The objective of prescribed burning is to reduce fuel loads to mitigate the risk of bushfire. This burn is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.