Prescribed burn at Monarto Woodlands
Date posted: 06 Oct. 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Monarto Woodlands Conservation Park on Monday 9 October, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will likely commence at 1pm and is likely to be completed by 8pm on Monday 9 October.
- The area to be burnt is 33 hectares west of Ferries McDonald Road and north of the South Eastern Freeway, near the Monarto freeway exit.
- The objective of this burn is to reduce fuel loads and lower the risk of bushfires impacting premises north of the park.
- Traffic on the South Eastern Freeway will be restricted to 80km/h and Mclean Road will be partially closed.
- Smoke may affect Ferries McDonald Road, Arbon Court, Mclean Road and the South Eastern Freeway.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service crews will remain on site until safe.
NPWS South Australia conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land. Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAEnvirWater on X (formerly Twitter).
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.