Prescribed burn at Longwood
Date posted: 19 Apr. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for five parcels of privately owned land between Woolcock Road, Longwood Road and Bradwood Lane, near Longwood and Bradbury, in the Mt Lofty Ranges, on Tuesday 19 April 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 1pm and is expected to be complete by 5pm.
- It will affect about 4.2 hectares.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce the risk of a bushfire impacting on dwellings along Longwood Rd and Bradwood Lane. The burn plans to strategically link with other burns in this high bushfire risk area.
- Longwood Road may be closed for part of the burn.
- Woolcock Road, Longwood Road and Bradwood Lane may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn which will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.