Prescribed burn at Kay Native Forest Reserve
Date posted: 09 Dec. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned at Kay Native Forest Reserve (Golf Course Road) on Saturday 10 December, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 4.30pm and is likely to be completed by 8.45pm the same day.
- The area to be burnt is 58.1 hectares 3km south of Mount Burr, opposite the Millicent Golf Club in the lower Limestone Coast region.
- This burn is planned to reduce the likelihood of the whole park burning in a single bushfire event.
- There will be no public access to Kay Native Forest Reserve during the burn. There will not be any road, walking trail or other recreation areas closed.
- Smoke could impact Golf Course Road and Logging Track. Traffic management will be in place along Golf Course Road and Logging Track.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.