Prescribed burn at Karte Conservation Park, Murray Mallee
Date posted: 10 May 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Karte Conservation Park – north of the Parilla township - on Thursday 11 May 2023, weather conditions permitting.
• The prescribed burn will start at 11.30am and finish at 5pm on Thursday 11 May.
• The area to be burnt is 250 hectares at the southern end of Karte Conservation Park.
• The landscape protection burn in Karte Conservation Park is to reduce the bushfire risk to surrounding properties and the conservation park.
• Smoke may be visible from Claypan East Rd, Karte West Rd & Karte Rd.
• The burn area will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be conducted by the Department for Environment and Water and CFS. The objective of prescribed burning is to reduce fuel loads to mitigate the risk of bushfire. This burn is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.