Prescribed burn at Giles Conservation Park
Date posted: 18 Oct. 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Giles Conservation Park, in the Mt Lofty
Ranges, on Thursday 19 October 2023, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will start at 1pm and is likely to be completed by 7pm on
Thursday 19 October.
- The area to be burnt is 13.2 hectares within the park, off Ridge Rd near
- The burn aims to create a low-fuel area to reduce the risk of bushfires
affecting Ashton and surrounding farmland.
- Smoke could remain in the area for some time.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service crews will remain on site until safe.
NPWS South Australia conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land. Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAEnvirWater on X (formerly Twitter).
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.