Prescribed burn at Chowilla Recreation Reserve
Date posted: 23 May 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for Chowilla Recreation Reserve, about 80km north of Renmark, in the Riverland, on Tuesday 24 May 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 1pm and is expected to be complete by 8pm.
- It will affect about 550 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is landscape protection to assist in protecting and improving local biodiversity.
- Danggali - Chillwila Road will be closed to the public on the day of the burn to allow for the operation to take place.
- Internal park roads will be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.