Prescribed burn at Carey Gully (Ironstone Range)
Date posted: 09 Dec. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned at Carey Gully (Ironstone Range) on private land on Friday 9 December, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12.30pm and is likely to be completed by 6.00pm the same day.
- The area to be burnt is 9.3 hectares on private land in the Filsell Hill/Carey Gully area adjacent Greenhill Road in the Mount Lofty Ranges.
- This burn is planned to create low fuel areas to reduce the risk of bushfires impacting the communities of Carey Gully, Mount George and Balhannah.
- A section of Greenhill Road will have one lane closed and speed restrictions for a portion of the burn. The city bound lane will be detoured via Gum Flat Road.
- Smoke could impact Greenhill Road.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.