Prescribed burn at Carey Gully
Date posted: 14 Sep. 2023
A prescribed burn is planned on private land at Carey Gully – Ironstone Range, on Friday 15 September 2023, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will start at 11.45am and is likely to be completed by 6pm on Friday 15 September.
- The area to be burnt is 13.5 hectares.
- The objective of the burn is to create low fuel areas to reduce the risk of bushfires affecting rural properties along Greenhill Road and the communities of Carey Gully, Mount George and Balhannah.
- Greenhill Road and Gum Flat Road may have some light smoke and low-lying areas may have some light smoke settle during the afternoon and into the evening.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service crews will remain on site until safe.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on X (formerly Twitter).
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.