Prescribed burn at Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park
Date posted: 21 Apr. 2023
A prescribed burn is planned at Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park and Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area on Kangaroo Island on Monday, 24 April, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 10:30am on Monday, 24 April and is likely to be completed by 5:00pm.
- The area to be burnt is 300 hectares of land in Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park and Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area, directly south of Murray Lagoon and Seagers Road in the Macgillivray area.
- This is a landscape protection burn to reduce the fuel hazard to interrupt the spread and impact of bushfire through the area.
- Lake Ada and Emmets Fire Access Tracks will be closed to the public.
- Seal Bay Rd may be impacted by smoke.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.