Prescribed burn at Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park
Date posted: 23 May 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park, directly south of Murrays Lagoon and Saegers Road in the MacGillivray area, Kangaroo Island, on Tuesday 24 May 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 11:30am and is expected to be complete by 5pm.
- It will affect about 30 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to create a low fuel boundary.
- There are no closures as a part of this burn.
- Some smoke may be seen and smelt in the Murray Lagoon campground.
- Seagers Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.