Prescribed burn at Bucks Lake Game Reserve
Date posted: 09 May 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for Bucks Lake Game Reserve near Carpenter Rocks, adjacent to Cape Banks Lighthouse Road north of the Township of Carpenter Rocks, in the state’s south east on Tuesday 10 May 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 2pm and is expected to be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 8.9 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce fuels within the park to minimise potential bushfire impact on township of Carpenter Rocks.
- Cape Banks Lighthouse Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn which will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.