Prescribed burn at Birdwood
Date posted: 23 May 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for north of the township of Birdwood, north of the River Torrens and west of Cromer Road, in the Mount Lofty Ranges, on Tuesday 24 May 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 11am and is expected to be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 8.7 hectares.
- The objective of the burn is to treat the biomass created as a result of mulching a significant gorse infestation and create a low fuel area to reduce the risk of bushfire impacting on the township of Birdwood.
- No roads will be closed during the operation.
- Prescribed burn signs will be located on main road to advise the public of the burn taking place.
- Roads surrounding the burn may be impacted by light smoke. The township of Birdwood may also experience some smoke impact.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed following the burn.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.