May is the perfect time of the year to get outdoors and explore the Northern Mount Lofty Ranges, with the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) hosting activities and events in this region as part of their Park of the Month program.
With cooler days, May is perfect for activities like bushwalking and mountain biking plus with the end of the fire danger season, you can once again enjoy camp fires in many of our national parks.
Park of the Month activities will be held in the following parks: Anstey Hill Recreation Park, Cobbler Creek Recreation Park, Morialta Conservation Park and Para Wirra Conservation Park, with events either free or offered at a greatly reduced cost.
Para Wirra Senior Ranger Tammy Leggett, who has worked as a ranger in the region for 20 years, says this group of parks are located within 45 minutes’ drive of the Adelaide CBD and all offer stunning, natural bushland that is perfect for bushwalking, camping, mountain biking, picnics and more.
She says May is a great time to get out in parks and experience the changing of the seasons as we move into winter.
“The cooler and wetter weather revitalises nature and there is nothing that smells better than the scent of the bush after rain,” she said.
“The parks in this region provide an important oasis for our native animals and plants among a landscape of urban and rural environments.
“The parks are rich in biodiversity and are brimming with birdlife and native plants. You just need to make sure you give yourself time to really look around and appreciate nature.
“We have some wonderful activities and events happening in May and we’d love for you to come and check them out.”
Park of the Month events and activities include:
- Hiking Skills with Walking SA in Anstey Hill Recreation Park.
- Mountain bike skills sessions for kids in Cobbler Creek Recreation Park
- Guided family nature walk with Nature Play SA in Morialta Conservation Park
- Forest bathing and wellness walk in Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Smartphone photography skills session in Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Guided accessibility walk to the First Falls in Morialta Conservation Park
- Come and try bush care in Para Wirra Conservation Park and Morialta Conservation Park
- Drawing nature workshop with artist Gilbert Dashorst in Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Heritage walk to the Old Newman’s Nursery in Anstey Hill Recreation Park
- Night Creatures and Stars – First Nations Cultural Experience in Para Wirra Conservation Park
For more information about these and other events and to book a place at an event visit: www.parks.sa.gov.au/park-of-the-month