From rugged clifftop views to wetland ponds, floodplains and intertidal rock pools, there is something for everyone to discover in the Onkaparinga parks.
This February National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) are celebrating Onkaparinga River National Park, Onkaparinga River Recreation Park, Moana Sands Conservation Park, Encounter Marine Park and the newly proclaimed Aldinga Conservation Park as its Parks of the Month.
These parks offer many activities and provide a perfect escape for people of all abilities to connect with nature in new ways. Activities could include hiking, camping, rock climbing, fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, bird watching and much more.
Only a short drive from Adelaide, it’s easy to escape for the day or find a place to stay for a few nights and immerse yourself in some of the best nature experiences our state has to offer.
NPWS Senior Ranger Angus Droogan-Turniski has made it his mission to discover the best ways of enjoying the different experiences these parks have to offer, and where to spot wildlife including birds, koalas, kangaroos and possums.
“It’s incredible how untouched and unique some of these places are, and how dedicated volunteer and community groups have worked with rangers to keep them beautiful for everyone to enjoy,” he said.
“There’s truly something for everyone in the Onkaparinga parks.
“If you’ve never been, the rangers, volunteers and other activity hosts would love to help make your first park visit an experience to remember, and for our regular visitors this may be the opportunity to see your favourite park in a new light.”
Park of the month activities include:
- Join Big Heart Adventures for yoga at Onkaparinga River National Park’s Punchbowl Lookout
- Reef Rambles at Aldinga Reef Sanctuary Zone, and snorkeling with Experiencing Marine Sanctuaries (EMS) at Port Noarlunga Reef Encounter Marine Park
- Guided bushwalks in Aldinga Conservation Park, Moana Sands Conservation Park
- A ranger guided accessibility walk around the Wetlands at Onkaparinga River Recreation Park
- A Native bee workshop with the Friends of Aldinga Scrub
- Trail Running SA’s Summer Series at Onkaparinga River National Park.
For more information about these and other events and to book a place at an event
For further inspiration explore the parks from home by using Google street view: