Prescribed burn at Para Wirra Conservation Park
Date posted: 27 Sep. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned at Para Wirra Conservation Park on Monday 27 September 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12:00pm and should be complete by 6:00pm.
- It will affect about 28 hectares of land within the park near Yattalunga in the Northern Mt Lofty Ranges.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce the likelihood of the whole park burning in a single bushfire event and to provide a low fuel protection area surrounding the Wirra Campground.
- Wirra Road (park road) and Wirra Campground will be closed to the public. Tree Creeper loop will have limited access with Workshop track closed to hikers.
- There is potential for Humbug Scrub Road to be impacted by smoke.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. Local MFS and CFS be in attendance. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow@SAENVIRWATERon Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.