Prescribed burn at Onkaparinga River Recreation Park
Date posted: 15 Sep. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for within the Onkaparinga River Recreation Park, west of River Road at Hackam Creek, east of the Noarlunga Model Aerosports club, at Noarlunga Downs on the Fleurieu Peninsula, on Thursday 16 September 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 1 pm and is expected be completed by 1 pm.
- It will affect about 5.3 hectares within the park along the river edge.
- The objective of the burn is control weedy reeds along the river edge and invasive prickly pear cactus.
- Walking trail diversions will be in place for the duration of the burn with signs in place for alternate routes.
- Port Noarlunga South, Seaford and Seaford Meadows may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn, and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.