Prescribed burn at Seal Bay
Date posted: 31 May 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for Seal Bay Conservation Park, alongside Lake Ada Track and Emmets Track, Seal Bay, Kangaroo Island on Tuesday 1 June 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12 noon and should be complete by 5 pm.
- It will affect about 10 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to increase safety to firefighters when undertaking bushfire suppression activities from Lake Ada or Emmets Track within Seal Bay Conservation Park.
- Lake Ada Track and Emmets Track will be closed.
- Seal Bay Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.