Prescribed burn at Point Boston
Date posted: 07 May 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for an area of crown land adjacent to East Parade, Point Boston, 12 km north east of Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula on Friday 7 May 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 9 am and should be complete by 4 pm.
- It will affect about 0.2 hectares.
- The prescribed burn is part of a wider strategy to encourage natural regeneration of coastal vegetation and suppress pest species.
- No road closures are planned
- Forecast wind will direct smoke over the ocean.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.