Prescribed burn at Basket Range
Date posted: 26 Apr. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for Ranns Road, Basket Range in the Mount Lofty Ranges, on private land to the east of Basket Range Road and south of the Basket Range Quarry, on Tuesday 27 April 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 11:45am and should be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 9.4 hectares.
- This burn is part of a series of burns which aims to reduce the risk of bushfire impacting on the community of Basket Range and the dwellings along Basket Range Road / Ranns Road.
- Basket Range Road, Nicols Road and Ranns Road may be impacted by smoke.
- No roads will be closed during the burn.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn, and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program. Local CFS brigades have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.