Prescribed burn at Simpson Conservation Park
Date posted: 15 Apr. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for in Simpson Conservation Park, adjacent the southern end of Jeffs Road, Porky Flat, Kangaroo Island, on Friday 16 April 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 10am and should be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 10.6 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is landscape protection burn to reduce the fuel hazard in order to interrupt the spread and impact of bushfire through the area.
- Jeffs Road will be impacted by smoke at times throughout the burn.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) with local CFS Volunteers invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.