Prescribed burn at Carey Gully
Date posted: 15 Apr 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for along Nicols Road, Carey Gully, on private property to the east of Uraidla in the Mt Lofty Ranges, on Friday 16 April 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12 noon and should be complete by 5pm.
- It will affect about 3.3 hectares on private land.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce extreme fuel hazards adjacent to property and assets in the area of Carey Gully/Uraidla.
- The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program.
- Nicols Road will be restricted to local traffic only and the speed limit will be reduced to 25km/h.
- A detour will be in place for all other traffic, via Range Road and Greenhill Road.
- Nicols Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) with local CFS Volunteers invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.