Prescribed burn at Mylor
Date posted: 29 Mar. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for within the Mylor Parklands off Strathalbyn Road and South Street, on the southern side of the Mylor township in the Mt Lofty Ranges, on Tuesday 30 March 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12 noon and should be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 2.2 hectares within the park.
- The western lane of Strathalbyn Road near the CFS station will be closed for the duration of the burn.
- Walking trails within the parklands, including a small section of the Heysen trail, will be closed for the duration of the burn and for a short time afterwards until the burn site is deemed safe.
- Strathalbyn Road, South Street and other smaller roads will be impacted by smoke.
- The inner township of Mylor could also be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may remain visible in the area for several days but the burn site will be patrolled by NPWS fire crews over this period.
- NPWSSA is liaising with local grape-growers and winemakers about the timing of prescribed burns to minimise the risk of smoke impacting wine grapes.
- NPWSSA works in close partnership with the Bureau of Meteorology during prescribed burns and if forecast conditions change, the burn may be modified or postponed to ensure objectives are met and risks are minimised. The burn is part of the Burning on Private Lands project and aims to reduce the risk of a bushfire impacting on the community of Mylor.
- The burn plans to strategically link with other burns in this high bushfire risk area, as identified in the AMLR Bushfire Management Area Plan.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) with local CFS Volunteers invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.