Prescribed burn at Mt Bold Reservoir
Date posted: 29 Mar. 2021
A prescribed burn is planned in Mt Bold Reservoir Reserve on Scenic Road approximately 4km east of Clarendon in the Mt Lofty Ranges, on Tuesday 30 March 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 11:00am and should be complete by 4pm.
- It will affect about 10.6 hectares within the reserve.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce fuels on the western edge of the Cherry Gardens Fire so there is no unburnt vegetation between Scenic Rd and the fire scar.
- NPWSSA is liaising with local grape-growers and winemakers about the timing of prescribed burns to minimise the risk of smoke impacting wine grapes.
- NPWSSA works in close partnership with the Bureau of Meteorology during prescribed burns and if forecast conditions change, the burn may be modified or postponed to ensure objectives are met and risks are minimised.
- No roads will be closed.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) with local CFS Volunteers invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.