Prescribed burn at Anstey Hill Recreation Park
Date posted: 26 Mar 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for the eastern boundary of the Anstey Hill Recreation Park adjacent to Range Road South in the Mt Lofty Ranges, Monday 29 March 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 1:30 pm and should be complete by 6 pm.
- It will affect about 3.5 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce the risk of bushfire impact on the adjacent properties along Range Road South.
- Range Road South to the east may be impacted by smoke for short periods of time.
- No roads will be closed however speed may be reduced along Range Road South for short periods if smoke reduces visibility.
- This burn is being undertaken under an east to southeast wind which will direct smoke over the Adelaide Plains potentially impacting the suburbs of Vista, Hope Valley, Tea Tree Gully, St Agnes and beyond.
- Anyone who has a medical condition that may be aggravated by smoke is advised to take adequate precautions to ensure their well-being.
- To reduce the impacts of smoke, it is recommended that people remove washing from the line and ensure all doors and windows remain closed until it passes.
- NPWSSA is liaising with grape-growers and winemakers about the timing of prescribed burns to minimise the risk of smoke drifting near grapes and impacting the industry.
- NPWSSA are in constant contact with the Bureau of Meteorology and if there is any chance that the wind will turn westerly pushing smoke over the range into the Paracombe or Houghton area, the burn will be postponed to a later date.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW) with local CFS Volunteers invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWSSA conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.