Prescribed burn at Morialta Conservation Park (AM)
Date posted: 23 Nov. 2020
A prescribed burn is planned in Morialta Conservation Park, Tuesday 24 November, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 8:15 am and should be complete by 2 pm.
- It will affect about 4.9 hectares within the park.
- This burn is located in Morialta Conservation Park, adjacent to Norton Summit Rd, Woodforde.
- Walkers are discouraged from using Hogan’s Track as NPWSSA vehicles will be using the fire track to access the burn area.
- This burn aims to reduce the risks of bushfire impacting on numerous dwellings along Norton Summit Road.
- The speed limit on Norton Summit Road will be reduced to 25km/hr and traffic will be restricted to one lane during the burn operation.
- Norton Summit Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may remain visible in the area for several days but the burn site will be patrolled by NPWSSA fire crews over this period.
- NOTE: There will be another burn in the afternoon within Morilata Conservation Park adjacent Morialta and Stradbroke Roads Rostrevor.
The burn will be carried out by NPWSSA as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn programme. Local CFS brigades have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWSSA’s statewide program of prescribed burns helps limit the spread and intensity of bushfires, protects communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.